A "little" something I've been working on

Discussion in 'Firearms, Optics, & Ammunition' started by blowgunner, Jan 27, 2015.

1. blowgunner

blowgunner New Member

I do a lot of backpacking, and have wanted a small gun to pack with me. First I started carrying a Ruger MKIII, but I'm terribly inaccurate with it. Then i started eyeballing the Ruger takedown. I had 2 issues with the takedown. First, It's over 4 pounds. Not much weight really, but when I'm already carrying enough gear to last me a week, 4 pounds is a lot. My other issue was, its carried in two pieces, so I cant just pull it from my pack and shoot.
    Thats when I decided to mod a youth rifle for my needs. Started with a Savage Rascal, and cut it down in to basically a bolt action Mares Leg. Modified the sight a little to make adjustments easier, and recrowned the barrel. Its a great little shooter. 26.5" overall length, 16.25" barrel, and weighs less than 2 pounds. Working on a scabbard now that will attach to the side of my pack for quick deployment, if I see some food running around on the trail.

maresleg_zps27ff476b.jpg

gunfreak likes this.
  2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Active Member

I know it's been almost a year but great ideas are timeless, it all matters to the one who has the idea!!!
    Good luck with your backpackin trips.

MTpockets likes this.
  3. OLD MS DEER HUNTER

OLD MS DEER HUNTER New Member

Have You Thought About An AMT AUTOMAG III In .22 Mag. I Have One It Is StainlessSteele Has 10 Round Magazine. Brand New Never Fired. I Also Have Velcro Holster That Carries Extra Magazine That Clip On Your Belt. If You Are Interested Contact Please.